It’s National Bike Month, and Conejo Valley is the perfect place to ride!
If you’re an avid cyclist spending time around Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills or Newbury Park for bike month – or even if you’re a weekend cruiser – you’re in for a treat. The area is home to a vast network of both road bike and mountain bike trails that wind through expansive open space and some of Southern California’s most spectacular scenery.
Here are eight ways you can celebrate National Bike Month in Conejo Valley this May.
- Fuel up: Savor a hot cup of coffee or grab an ice-cold smoothie before hitting the trails at JRA Bikes & Brew, which doubles as a bike service center and equipment shop. This is a go-to spot for both mountain and road bikers to lounge, plan their rides and gear up.
- Buy or rent your gear: If you want to enjoy National Bike Month, but you don’t have your own equipment, pay a visit to Michael’s Bicycles in Newbury Park. The shop features everything from bikes and equipment to clothing and accessories, so you’ll be well-prepared for a couple days exploring Conejo Valley by bike. If you’re a serious cyclist and ready to splurge on something shiny and new, you’ll also find a range of bikes for purchase at Michael’s.
- Join a group ride: If you’re not ready to ride solo, you’ve come to the right place. Conejo Valley Cyclists is a local club with a range of weekly rides for all experience levels. Visitors are welcome!
- Explore a road bike trail or two: Conejo Valley Cyclists also shares several great road bike trails with the public, so check them out here and map your route.
- Check out a mountain bike trail: There are 140 miles of scenic trails throughout Conejo Valley. For a beginner-level ride, try the Potrero Ridge Trail in Newbury Park. For a moderate ride that also offers beautiful glimpses of nature, try the Modelo Trail in Agoura Hills.
- Take in a view: With numerous trails offering spectacular views of mountains to the east and the California coast to the west, Point Mugu State Park is an excellent choice for a bike ride, especially for more experienced riders.
- Wind down: With convenient bike parking as well as a full lineup of craft beers on tap and a locally-sourced food menu, Twisted Oak Tavern in Agoura Hills is a bike-friendly business offering a great spot to slow down after a long day of biking.
- America’s Premier Cycling Event: Taking place near Conejo Valley on May 14 is the popular Amgen Tour of California cycling road race. Stage 2 of the men’s competition kicks off at Ventura Pier. Come cheer on some of the world’s top professional cycling teams as they make their way through California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines.
You can learn even more about the cycle scene in Conejo Valley here, so start planning and enjoy National Bike Month with the rest of us!